Thought this was going to be a bit more of a struggle to setup but the process was painless and took about six minutes. Here are the steps:
- Formatted the external drive on my Mac using Disk Utility
- Plugged it into the Airport Extreme
- Use AirPort Utility to connect to the AirPort Extreme and enable sharing of the drive
- The shared drive automatically appears in Finder’s sidebar
- Enable Time Machine on my laptop and select a drive
- Done, have a beverage and watch some Archer
The Time Machine and CrashPlan combo have me feeling pretty safe if an issue arrises. It’s the same feeling you get when you purchase renter’s or home owner’s insurance, I think.